We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
There are few places in the world that are as interested in poop as a veterinary clinic. Why may you ask? Because a fecal exam can detect evidence of intestinal parasites long before other signs are evident. Parasites can be transmitted through hunting, fleas, eating stool, even in-utero, so it is difficult to immediately know if your cat is carrying any infections. Parasitic infections may cause diarrhea, ill thrift, respiratory illness or intestinal obstruction. The majority is health issues arise as numbers build, so early detection means treatment. We also consider that some worms can be spread to humans so fecal exams are important to your health as well.
A cat fecal parasite screen can mean a variety of different tests that analyze a stool sample. At Southampton Pet Hospital, we may use this term for a fecal centrifugation done in-clinic or a gastrointestinal parasite diagnostic panel that goes to an external lab. Different tests provide answers to different questions, so we review what information we are obtaining to any test we perform.
What does a fecal parasite screen reveal?
A standard fecal exam looks for the eggs of intestinal worms or the parasite itself.
How is a fecal parasite screen performed?
A routine fecal exam includes a gross assessment of stool since the quality of the stool is a reflection of intestinal health. A fecal float uses the centrifugation technique to maximize detection. After flotation is complete, the sample is examined under a microscope to identify eggs.
What is the best method for collecting my cat’s stool?
The simplest technique is to cover your hand with a plastic bag, pick up a fresh stool with that hand then roll the bag off your hand and over the fecal sample. We only need about a teaspoon-sized sample.
How much does a cat stool test cost?
A fecal exam does not require a physical exam of our patients unless there are specific health concerns. We offer a reduced fee for fecal screening with our annual examinations.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Friday, March 20, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 519.797.2960. We will take a history from outside of your vehicle, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return to your vehicle with your pet to discuss our recommended treatment plan.
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, and Saturday: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
6. Online consultations are now available! If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.
7. Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.